Friday, May 2, 2008

Enough wind?

Okay, here's another post...

Since I've moved back into the house on December 30, I "serendipitously" have lived (electrical energy wise) solely from the small 1 kW wind generator. I say serendipitously, because the reason is actually procrastination...I "inherited" a broken propane backup generator (maybe partially due to me not doing regular maintenance, but probably also due to the generator not being started once a week for four or five weeks in the middle of the winter).

So, anyway, for the first three months of the year I cheated a little bit by turning off the electricity (i.e., shutting off my inverter) every time I left the house and keeping my food in the "cool" garage. Turning off the electricity not only saved me the fridge electricity (which actually only is about 0.5 kWh) but also my phantom loads, which still is about 70 W (of which about 35 Watts can be attributed to the Inverter on standby).

<...>

But for the last four to six weeks, I've actually had plenty of Electricity just from the wind...which makes me question again how big of a solar array I actually need (four or six 160-170 Watt panels).

No comments: